Saturday, December 8, 2007

S60 Users: Google Maps recieves an upgrade, virtual GPS added!

Posted by Stefan on Wednesday, November 28th, 2007 at 10:36 am under Symbian
No Tags

maps1051.jpg

Google Maps for S60 is now up to version 2.0.3 and now has the ability to show your general location based on the cell towers around you. I’ve verified this on my Nokia E61i, a device which most positively does not have GPS.

Google has also changed how you zoom in and out, now using the 1 and 3 keys on your keypad instead of the center dpad and right soft key, a very unwelcome change.

How well does the virtual GPS work? Well here is where the GPS in my Nokia N82 thinks my apartment is:

maps1052.jpg

That is highly accurate, I’m right by that roundabout.

Here is where my E61i, with Google Maps 2.0, puts me as living:

screenshot0002.jpg

Now I know 1700 meters doesn’t sound accurate, but check out what happens when I zoom in:

screenshot0003.jpg

That is pretty damn close! Try it on your S60 devices and let me know how it works for you.

To download it go to http://www.google.com/gmm in your mobile web browser. By the way, that “virtual GPS” lock took less than a second. Impressive.

No comments:


Go Large!
Google
-->